A Pendersons Traineeship is an education and training programme with work experience that is focused on unlocking the potential of young people, aged 16+. The programme aims to give them the skills and experience, preparing them for a future career in the rail industry or logistics & warehousing sector by helping them to become ‘work ready’. Pendersons can give young people real exposure to what can be expected by an employer.
The Pendersons programme lasts 6 weeks with both practical and classroom based activities. Learners will be taken through a detailed programme that includes the following:
- Health & Safety training – covering the employer and employee responsibilities
- Manual training
- Fire Awareness training
- Basic safety for working ‘on or near’ railway infrastructure or in a warehouse environment
- Safe and correct use of commonly used tools
- Practical work experiences
- Completion of a Level 1 Employability qualification
- Flexible training – in other relevant areas to help them get ready for work, such as job search and interview skills, time-keeping and team working.
Throughout their attendance learners will have worked with skilled and experienced individuals. At the end of the traineeship learners are invited to an interview with a potential employer for an Apprenticeship position (Level 2 Diploma Modern Apprenticeship Framework).
So what are the benefits of Traineeships?
- The flexibility of traineeships offers employers the opportunity to help build a pool of high quality future recruits
- Traineeships allows learners to be in a better position to advance onto an apprenticeship or other sustainable job prospects
- Understanding the basic rules and regulations that apply in a working environment
- Giving young people exposure to a real workplace so they can develop the skills, knowledge, confidence, attitudes and behaviours they need to succeed at work.
- Improving English and Maths skills, boosting learner’s career prospects
- Guaranteed interview at the end of the Traineeship
Traineeships are unpaid, however they are an ideal opportunity if learners are motivated to get a job but lack the skills and experience that employers are looking for.
Suitable candidates are:
- Aged between 16-24 and qualified below Level 3
- Motivated to work and be passionate about the opportunity
- Have little work experience.
- Able to get to the Pendersons’ Training Centre, either by own transport or public transport
A traineeship is probably not right for candidates who:
- Already have the skills and experience needed to find an apprenticeship or work.
- Are 25 years old or older
- Are already employed